The purpose of the Resources section of this site is to connect you with additional education and information related to the Natural Wonders of South America. In addition to resources that are focused on the splendor, beauty and amazement, Natural Wonders of South America will also provide you with access to tour companies, places to stay, and related resources that make your discovery, exploration and personal experience with the South America wonders of nature the best it can be.
7 NATURAL WONDERS OF THE WORLD
South America is home to 1 of the 7 Wonders of Nature. That natural wonder is the Harbor of Rio de Janeiro. The harbor is located on the east coast of Brazil and is part of the city scape of Rio de Janeiro.
- Harbor of Rio de Janeiro – Also known as Guanabara Bay, the harbor of Rio is the largest bay in the world based on volume of water.
UNESCO: WORLD HERITAGE
UNESCO represents the World Heritage sites from around the world as determined by the International Union of Conservation of Nature (IUCN). Here is a list of 10 world heritage sites located found in South America:
- UNESCO – Amazon: The Central Amazon Conservation Complex makes up the largest protected area in the Amazon Basin (over 6 million hectares) and is one of the planet’s richest regions in terms of biodiversity.
- UNESCO – Galapagos Islands: Situated in the Pacific Ocean some 1,000 km from the South American continent, these 19 islands and the surrounding marine reserve have been called a unique ‘living museum and showcase of evolution’.
- UNESCO – Manu NP: This huge 1.5 million-ha park has successive tiers of vegetation rising from 150 to 4,200 m above sea-level.
- UNESCO – Noel Kempff Mercado NP: The National Park is one of the largest (1,523,000 ha) and most intact parks in the Amazon Basin.
- UNESCO – Igazu Falls: The semicircular waterfall at the heart of this site is some 80 m high and 2,700 m in diameter and is situated on a basaltic line spanning the border between Argentina and Brazil. A leading candidate in the 7 Natural Wonders of South America.
- UNESCO – Iguacu Falls: The park shares with Iguazú National Park in Argentina one of the world’s largest and most impressive waterfalls, extending over some 2,700 m. It is home to many rare and endangered species of flora and fauna, among them the giant otter and the giant anteater.
UNESCO – Los katios NP: Extending over 72,000 ha in north-western Colombia, Los Katios National Park comprises low hills, forests and humid plains. An exceptional biological diversity is found in the park, which is home to many threatened animal species, as well as many endemic plants.
- UNESCO – Mt. Huascaran: Situated in the Cordillera Blanca, the world’s highest tropical mountain range, Mount Huascarán rises to 6,768 m above sea-level.
- UNESCO – Canaima NP: Canaima National Park is spread over 3 million ha in south-eastern Venezuela along the border between Guyana and Brazil. Roughly 65% of the park is covered by table mountain (tepui) formations.
SOUTH AMERICA HOTELS
Some of the most amazing hotels for experiencing and engaging nature are found in South America. Whether traveling to Brazil, Argentina, Peru and any of the other amazing countries in South America, look for the places that help you experience nature.
- Hotel das Cataratas: This hotel is the only hotel in the Iguassu Falls national park, placing the falls right at your doorstep.
Conservation and Professional Organizations
Conservation and protection of our wildlife and the environments they call home should be at the top of our agendas. Whether as tourism agencies, personal travelers, government agencies or hospitality services, we should all invest time and resources to ensure the survival of wildlife and their environments. The agencies and services below are committed to conservation along with protection of our environments and natural resources.
- EPA: Environmental Protection Agency of the United States.
- NWF: National Wildlife Federation
- UNESCO: United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization.
- WWF: World Wildlife Fund
- Science: Educational group focused on an array of the sciences.
- Nature Conservancy: Conservancy group address the needs of nature
- Conservation International: Conservation of the world’s natural resources, environments and wildlife.
- Natural Wonders of the Caribbean: Group supporting the wonders of nature from the Caribbean.
Supporters, Causes and Key Resources
Natural Wonders of South America is appreciative of the resources and organizations that support the protection of the natural wonders. Similarly, NWSA looks to provide access to other organizations that have worthy causes that support and help the community.